Play Kitchen

 I can't believe it, but my baby is TWO! 
For his birthday, we decided we wanted to get him a play kitchen, 
because he LOVES to pretend to cook, clean, and do the dishes. 
Hopefully he enjoys doing this in the future... ;)


Have you noticed how darn expensive these plastic kitchens are? 
Ridiculous!
There have been SO many cute DIY ones out in blogland, but by the time I figured out what to get him, it was too late to start one.
So we bought one at WalMart for about 80 dollars.
The next day, I walked into the DI and saw this beauty for TEN dollars. TEN!!





The only thing wrong with it- a few cracks in the oven door! No biggie. 





 
 
 So, I took it all apart, cleaned it, spray painted it, re-wired it- and here it is!!

(I'm not finished- I still need to do the bottom trim, and touch up the paint under the oven door- but I'm fairly pleased!)
 
 







 Here is what I did to the oven door~
I used some special glue, taped over it until it dried, and then painted it. 
It's not perfect, but it will do!
 






 

 Inside the oven, I didn't want to paint too much, so it's still a little girly- but after re-wiring everything- it works! As in, the lights light up and a fan blows out cool air (while a song plays...haha).


 I happened to go to Kmart this week, which almost never happens, and came across this blender and mixer for $16... total. They came with cups and fake ice/lemons, etc. My boys will LOVE these.






Kitchen and Paint - $20
Accessories- $28.50
 TOTAL: $48.50


I will be linking this up to the blogs located in my Linky page up top!








 
 





 

24 comments:

  1. That looks 100% better! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an older kitchen that needs spicing up, too!! Thanks so much for sharing this fabulous makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a transformation! Great job!

    Stopping by from Mingle Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great! You must have a lot of patients to paint all those little pieces! For $10 you did great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Great find! Love how you made it so appealing to your boys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THis is SO COOL!! I would have never thought to make over an already exsisting kitchen! Definately walking slower through the outdoor part of DI next time. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is AWESOME! Wish I had thought of this last Christmas before buying a new one! Looks great you should be proud of it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE it! what a great gift for a boy, and such a great deal. Saw this on Backyard Eden!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, the joys of plastic spray paint! That's one great after. Your son and mine are both kitchen obsessed...lol...

    Please share this with my readers @Creative Juice Thursday ... Hope to see yours among all the amazing projects!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect!!! Great change! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is adorable. What a great idea to paint the plastic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! It looks great in the new colours. So many kitchens are girly but this one would be perfect for a boy. Very modern looking!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is so cute. i love those accessories. lucky little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My little girl is turning 2 & my parents got her a kitchen as well. You did such a great job fixing this up - so smart!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is soo cool! I love the new kitchen much better than original one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have been featured at SSB! Check out your feature below:

    http://superstinkyboys.blogspot.com/2011/04/mad-skills-monday-53.html

    Feel free to snag the I Was Featured button for your blog and I hope you'll visit again soon!
    xoxo
    Ginger
    SSB

    ReplyDelete
  17. So jealous! Looks great!


    Would love for you to share at Calling All Crafters, today!
    http://allthingsfee.blogspot.com/2011/04/calling-all-crafters-4th-edition.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cute! I saw this on Tea Rose Home. What type of paint did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah, the power of paint! I love what you've done with this. I have a few toys in the yard that need that plastic spray paint BAD.

    Thanks for linking to Creative Juice Thursday...Hope to see more of your ideas this week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. SO much better than the original!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I must be a shmuck... I bought the expensive one. I could have remodeled my own kitchen with the money I spent on the big plastic one! You did an awesome job on the makeover! Thanks for sharing!
    Found you on Today's Creative Blog
    Visiting from Well Rounded, leahkoenig.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete