Kid Proof Remote Control

FYI:  I am in no way being paid to say this-
I just want to share the awesome remote I got this week!  

Ok, so first of all let me just tell you all how weird it is for me to call it a Remote. 
=)
My family has always called it 'the TV thing.' 
My husband always makes fun of me when I say things like, 
"Where's the TV thing?"
I know, I know. It's strange. 
I blame it on my parents. 

Anyways, I was at Target yesterday with some girl friends and I came across this "Remote" in the clearance section. 
I love it. 

I don't know about you, but our children pretty much control our TV watching. 
They know exactly how to operate our "remote," and it drives me crazy. 

This "remote" can be programmed to store up to seven channels of your choosing! 
Knowing my kiddos, they would figure out how to re-program it in all of five minutes...
except for this little detail:

To reprogram it, you have to unscrew the bottom!

 
When you do, it reveals this little key pad:


There is  volume control, so the kids don't turn the TV up too loud,
OR you can just disable the volume so they can't turn it up or down at all,
OR you can take the volume control off so it can be used regularly.

You can also program it to turn to a specific channel as soon as the TV is turned on, if you want.

There are many different options to choose from- I love how customizable it is! 

This remote works for a TV and/or a cable box. I'm not sure if it works for digital TV though, as we just have plain ol' cable. 

Something I don't like is that the kids can still change channels/volume on the TV itself, but I solved that problem months ago by completely covering those buttons with layers of thick paper and tape.

Now my boys are happy because they get to use their own special "remote" and we are happy because they can only change the channel to a few channels! 
 
(If you would like one of your own, I suggest looking at Target first- or Google

Sony RM-KZ1 Universal Kids TV Remote Control

I only paid $10 for ours)

 
 

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting! I've never seen anything like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would never think a remote with only 10 visible buttons could be so hi-tech! What a sweet find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got one of these for my mom, who has Alzheimer's. I _love_ this product!

    I'm sad that Sony's loss-making TV division are discontinuing this remote. It's far and away the best design (and the best value for money) in this niche. I went panic-buying a few to keep as spares, just in case.

    ReplyDelete